Tuesday, April 21, 2015

"Light My Candle" from "Rent"

ROGER
What'd you forget?
MIMI
Got a light?
I know you, you're--
You're shivering
It's nothing
They turned off my heat
And I'm just a little weak
On my feet
Would you light
My candle?
What are you staring at?
Nothing
Your hair
In the moonlight
You look familiar
Can you make it?
Just haven't
Eaten much today
At least the room
Stopped spinning, anyway
What?
Nothing
Your smile reminded me of--
I always remind people of--
Who is she?
She died
Her name was April
It's out again
Sorry 'bout your friend
Would you light
My candle?
Well
Yeah
Ow!
Oh, the wax. It's--
Dripping
I like it between my--
Fingers
I figured
Oh, well, good night
It blew out again?
No, I think
That I dropped my stash
I know I've seen you
Out and about
When I used to go out
You're candle's out
I'm illin'
I had it
When I walked in the door
It was pure
Is it on the floor?
The floor?
They say that I have the best ass
Below 14th street
Is it true?
What?
You're staring again
Oh, no
I mean, you do
Have a nice--
I mean--
You look familiar
Like your dead girlfriend?
Only when you smile
But I'm sure I've seen
You somewhere else
Do you go
To the Cat Scratch Club?
That's where I work
I dance
Yes
They used to tie you up
It's a living
I didn't recognize you
Without the handcuffs
We could light
The candle
Oh, won't you light
The candle?
Why don't you forget
That stuff?
You look like you're 16
I'm 19
But I'm old for my age
I'm just born to be bad
I once was born to be bad
I used to shiver like that
I have no heat
I told you
I used to sweat
I got a cold
Uh-huh
I used to be a junkie
But now and then
I like to feel good
Oh, here it--
What's that?
Candy-bar wrapper
We could light
The candle
Oh, what'd you do
With my candle?
That was my last match
Our eyes'll adjust
Thank God for the moon
Maybe it's not the moon
At all
I hear Spike Lee's shootin'
Down the street
Bah humbug
Bah humbug
Cold hands
Yours too
Big
Like my father's
Do you wanna dance?
With you?
No, with my father
I'm Roger
They call me
They call me
Mimi

No comments:

Post a Comment