Saturday, December 15, 2012

"King of New York" from "Newsies"

RACE
Ya don't need money when you're famous. They gives ya whatever ya want gratis!
HENRY
Such as . . . ?
RACE
A pair of new shoes with matchin' laces . . .
ROMEO
A permanent box at the Sheepshead Races . . .
HENRY
Pastrami on rye with a sour pickle . . .
FINCH
My personal puss on a wooden nickel . . .
RACE
Look at me:
I'm the king of New York!
Suddenly
I'm respectable,
Starin' right at'cha,
Lousy with stat'cha.
ALBERT
Nobbin' with all the muckety-mucks,
I'm blowin' my dough and goin' deluxe.
RACE
And there I be!
Ain't I pretty?
RACE, HENRY
It's my city.
I'm the king of New York!
JO JO
A solid gold watch with a chain to twirl it . . .
LES
My very own bed and an indoor terlet . . .
MUSH
A barbershop haircut that costs a quarter . . .
DAVEY
(Indicating KATHERINE)
A regular beat for the star reporter!
RACE
Am-scray, punk,
She's the king of New York!
KATHERINE
Who'd'a thunk!
I'm the king of New York!
NEWSIES
We was sunk,
Pale and pitiful,
KATHERINE
Bunch of wet noodles,
KATHERINE, NEWSIES
Pulitzer's poodles.
LES
Almost about to drown in the drink,
BUTTONS
When she fished us out
RACE
And drowned us in ink!
KATHERINE
So let's get drunk!
NEWSIES
Yeah!
KATHERINE
Not with liquor.
Fame works quicker
When you're king of New York.
NEWSIES
I gotta be either dead or dreamin',
'Cause look at that pape with my face beamin'.
Tomorrow they may wrap fishes in it,
But I was a star for one whole minute!
NEWSIES, KATHERINE
Look at me:
I'm the king of New York!
Wait and see:
This is gonna make
Both the DeLanceys
Pee in their pant-sies.
Flashpots are shootin'
Bright as the sun!
I'm one high-fallutin'
Son-of-a-gun!
I guarantee:
Though I crapped out,
I ain't tapped out
I'm the king of New--
Friends may flee.
Let 'em ditch'ya!
Snap one pit'cha,
You're the king of New--
History!
Front page story,
Guts and glory,
I'm the king of New York!

No comments:

Post a Comment