Saturday, September 15, 2012

"Not For the Life of Me" from "Thoroughly Modern Millie"

MILLIE
I studied all the pictures in magazines and books.
I memorized the subway map, too.
It's one block north to Macy's and two to Brothers Brooks.
Manhattan, I prepared for you.

You certainly are diff'rent from what they have back home,
Where nothing's over three stories high,
And no one's in a hurry or wants to roam.
But I do, and they wonder why.

They said I would soon be good and lonely.
They said I would sing the homesick blues.
(taking a train ticket from her pocket)
So I always have this ticket in my pocket -
A ticket home in my pocket -
To do with as I choose.

(tearing the ticket in two)
Burn the bridge, bet the store,
Baby's coming home no more,
Not for the life of me.
Break the lock, post my bail,
Done my time, I'm out of jail,
Not for the life of me.

A life that's gotta be more than a one-light town
Where the light is always red,
Gotta be more than an old ghost town
Where the ghost ain't even dead.

Clap-a-your hands, just-a-because
Don't you know that where I am ain't where I was,
Not for the life of me.
Boh-doh-dee-oh
Not for the life of
Not for the life of
Not for the life of me!

No comments:

Post a Comment