Tuesday, August 14, 2012

"Skid Row (Downtown)" from "Little Shop of Horrors"

WOMAN
Alarm goes off at seven
And you start uptown.
You put in your eight hours
For the powers that have always been,
Till it's five p.m.

BUM 1
Then you go.

COMPANY
Downtown,
Where the folks are broke.
Downtown,
Where your life's a joke.
Downtown,
When you buy your token, you go
Home to Skid Row.

BUM 2
Yes, you go.

COMPANY
Downtown,
Where the cabs don't stop.
Downtown,
Where the food is slop.
Downtown,
Where the hop-heads flop in the snow.
Down on Skid Row.

Uptown you cater to a million jerks.
Uptown you're messengers and mail room clerks.
Eating all your lunches at the hot dog carts.
The bosses take your money and they break your hearts.
Uptown you cater to a million whores.
You disinfect terrazzo on their bathroom floors.
Your morning's tribulation, afternoon's a curse,
And five o'clock is even worse.

BUM 3
That's when you go

COMPANY
Downtown.

AUDREY
Where the guys are drips.

COMPANY
Downtown.

AUDREY
Where they rip your slips.

COMPANY
Downtown.

AUDREY
Where relationships are no go
Down on Skid Row.

COMPANY
Down on Skid Row.

AUDREY
Down on Skid Row.

COMPANY
Down on Skid Row.

AUDREY
Down on Skid Row.

COMPANY
Down on Skid Row.

AUDREY, COMPANY
Down on Skid Row!

SEYMOUR
Poor!
All my life I've always been poor.
I keep asking God what I'm for,
And he tells me, "Gee, I'm not sure.
Sweep that floor, kid!"
Oh!
I started life as an orphan, a child of the street.
Here on Skid Row,
He took me in, gave me shelter, a bed,
Crust of bread, and a job.
Treats me like dirt,
Calls me a slob,
Which I am.
So I live.

COMPANY
Downtown.

SEYMOUR
That's your home address.
Ya live.

COMPANY
Downtown.

SEYMOUR
When your life's a mess.
Ya live.

COMPANY
Downtown.

SEYMOUR
Where depression's jes' status quo.

COMPANY
Down on Skid Row.

SEYMOUR
Someone show me a way to get outta here,
'Cause I constantly pray I'll get outta here.
Please, won't somebody say I'll get outta here.
Someone gimme my shot, or I'll rot here.

COMPANY
Downtown.

SEYMOUR
Show me how and I will,
I'll get outta here.
I'll start climbing up hill
And get outta here.
Someone tell me I still
Could get outta here.
Someone tell Lady Luck
That I'm stuck here.

SEYMOUR, AUDREY
Gee, it should would be swell
To get outta here,
Bid the gutter farewell
and get outta here.
I'd move heaven and hell
To get outta Skid,
But a hell of a lot
To get outta Skid.
People tell me there's
Not a way outta Skid.
But believe me, I gotta get outta.

COMPANY
Skid Row!

No comments:

Post a Comment