Monday, July 9, 2012

Eva from "Not About Nightingales" by Tennessee Williams

Oh, Jim I would have liked to live with you outside. We might have found a place where searchlights couldn't point their fingers at us when we kissed. I would have given you so much you've never had. Quick love is hard. It gives so little pleasure. We should have had long nights together with no walls. Or no stone walls-- I know the place! A tourist camp beside a highway, Jim, with all night long the great trucks rumbling by--but only making shadows through the blinds! I'd touch the stone you're made of, Jim, and make you warm, so warm, so terribly warm your love would burn a scar upon my body that no length of time could heal!--Oh, Jim. If we could meet like that, at some appointed time, some place decided now, where we could love in secret and be warm, protected, not afraid of things-- We could forget all this as something dreamed!--Where shall it be? When, Jim? Tell me before you go!

No comments:

Post a Comment