Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Heavenly from "Spring Storm" by Tennessee Williams (2)

HEAVENLY: I know, I know! I'm a fool!--Look!

ARTHUR: What?

HEAVENLY (softly): It's the first lightnin' bug!

(Pause. Music is heard.)

HEAVENLY: Wonder what makes 'em go off and on like that?--Did you take any science courses at Oxfo'd? I took geology my third year at high.

ARTHUR (coldly): Did you really?

HEAVENLY: Yes. We used to go out on field expeditions they called 'em, collectin' fossils an' things.

ARTHUR: That must've been nice!

HEAVENLY: Yes, an' just think!--Someday we'll be fossils, too. They'll dig us up an' say, "Gosh, what long legs that girl had?"--or "Didn't he have nice ears!" --An' that's all they'll know about us, i suppose.

ARTHUR: I suppose so.

HEAVENLY: It won't matter who we got married to or whether we lived to be old or died young. They won't care; it won't make any difference to them. We'll just be little marks on a piece of rock. Or maybe not even that much.--Does it make you feel sad?

No comments:

Post a Comment